She’s Got The Look

“For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

–1 Timothy 4:8

I’m not shy about the fact that I’m a big girl.  And not as much in the “Mommy, wow!  I’m a big kid now!” sense as in the “Do the Truffle Shuffle!” sense (no, I will NOT). From time to time, I think about how nice it would be if I could drop about 125 pounds.  The funny thing about that is my motivation for losing the weight.  Rarely is it because of the history of heart problems in my family, or because I’m frustrated about my inability to walk up more than three flights of stairs without feeling like I’m going to pass out…

I want to be pretty.  And by pretty, I mean skinny.

There is so much pressure on us to look good all the time.  Even at church, we tell people they can “come as they are,” but do we really mean it?  Sure!  So long as the way you are is polished–clothes pressed, shoes unscuffed, each hair on your head in place.  And ladies, a neutral shade of lipstick is okay, but nothing too wild.  Lip GLOSS?  Leave it at home.  It makes you look either like you’re fourteen or you’re a slut.  Oh, and we know you’re under a lot of pressure to look great, but could you plaster a smile on?  ‘Kay thanks.

**eyeroll**

I would absolutely love to do an experiment.  Call it “comfy Sunday.”  Everyone shows up with bedhead, no makeup, unshaven, in their Saturday morning worst.  You know, the way God sees us when we’re not at church.  I mean, really–who are we trying to impress with all of our baubles and current-season prints?

Being low-fat and high fashion isn’t necessarily a bad thing; the first part of the verse acknowledges that.  But it goes on to say that our real value is found in our actions and attitudes.  Striving for holiness and being the person God wants us to be.  And not just in this life, but into eternity.

Actually, I’d like to flip that last sentence:  not just into eternity but in this life.  How much more of an impact could we make on the world if we would just take on the character of Christ?  Calling out the stuck-up judgmental bitches in the corner on their gossiping?  Showing genuine love and compassion to those who come through the doors that maybe don’t have their shit together?  Culminating our fruits of the spirit so we exude love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control?  Sure, the concept is idealistic.  But how much more comfortable of a place would it be for people to come and stay?

Something to consider…

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to She’s Got The Look

1. Tony says:

I was never one for dressing up for church. I would go in a T-Shirt and jeans. I always see these churches where everyone has “Sunday Best” on, but I’ve NEVER done it as long as I can remember.

• Nikki D. says:

Huh. Must be a Protestant thing. I had to wear dresses and pantyhose until I was 18. My hair was curled through sixth grade, I think.

• Tera says:

Nah, I’ve never really done the whole “dress up for church” thing either (except for holidays, as a kid). Most Sundays, they’re lucky if I’m wearing a shirt that doesn’t have a graphic on it. No one has ever said anything to me, but lately, I’ve been thinking, to myself, that it’s time to stop dressing like a 14-year-old, albeit sans lip gloss.

This was a great entry. And I went back and re-read your blogs, because I was about to accuse you of keeping it in the church, sort of preaching to the choir; don’t worry, that was an erroneous assumption. But the point stuck with me, so let me prop up my little straw man:

This is a problem everywhere. I like to think you’re talking about taking this mentality outside of the church, too, because I think it’s awfully restrictive to assume that these behaviors exist solely within that building. Christians should experience their Christianity in the world, too, because it’s the world we live in.

And straw man knocked down. Sorry about the tangent, but your blog made me think.

• Nikki D. says:

Zizz, I agree completely. Godliness isn’t something that you should drop off on the back pew as you leave the Sunday service; love and kindness and self-control…all these things are attributes we should try to exhibit day to day. Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Cyndy Lou says:

Hey wait a minute I use “lip gloss” Chanel, NARS and M.A.C. !!

3. vickie schultz Merwin says:

I can say that is the “main” reason I do not attend a church. I have lots of just plain jeans and lots of t-shirts. I would have to go and get “Dress-up” clothes and then shoes,, and then…. it goes on and on. And as for the skinny thing,,,, I have struggled with weight my whole life… Now, I am a smaller person by nature,, but I have to fight to stay that way…. So,,, Nikki,, my hat is off to you! Thanks for your thoughts!! GOD-BLESS!

• Nikki D. says:

There ARE churches out there that have gotten a bit more laid back about the whole thing. The church I’m currently attending is definitely one of them. Problem is, you have to go INTO a church and get the dirty looks before you realize whether or not it’s okay to actually “come as you are.” **grumble**

Thanks for weighing in, Vickie 🙂

4. Rebekah says:

I dressed up for church for 28 years with skirts and pantyhose. Hated it. I always think that Jesus preached to people anywhere they were, when they were in regular clothes. I figure we can worship God nude if we happen to be that way at the time, but I’m not going out in public nude. I HATE it when people were pajamas in public. Pajamas and flip flops. Going to your neighbor’s house that way is one thing (Hi Kristin), but to the store, even if it is just Walmart? Ugh. Maybe I’m old-fashioned, but if you just slept in your clothes, I don’t want to see you in the store in them. That being said, a church service that was planned to wear pajamas could be pretty cool, but only if we can bring a bowl of Cap’n Crunch. : )

5. socialpariah says:

huh. i’ve always said that church, for some vapid folks, is just a place you go once a week to compare clothing.

6. Joycelyn Marr says:

Nikki, this discussion reminds me of the quote I put on my facebook page..it’s from Jewel. Seems to me like she’s talking about our churches… “we made houses for hatred, it’s time we made a place where peoples souls may be seen and made safe.. be careful with each other..these fragile flames..for innocence can’t be lost it just needs to be maintained”.